Monday, November 2, 2009

Aspie Women and NT Men

While I know that AS isn't a mental illness, I have found that I function so much better since my diagnosis. Still, life for me is anything but typical. I am married to a man who is NT, but who has probably adpoted a lot of my social isolation techniques (haha). I think that I was attracted to him because he was always the life of the party, and for me to function socially, I needed someone who was a social butterfly. Now what I have found in the last ten or so years is that many man are attracted to women who have characteristics of Asperger's. This is what I have found. I have been told that I have a "sweet and nieve" way about me. This can lead to a frienship with a man and to be honest, I can not be friends with men. It doesn't work. Attractions will form and then things get complicated, next the friendship has to end abruptly and rudely. Still...I have had a couple of male friends (while being married) whom didn't have a problem with making me their close friend or buddy. These men are mostly NT, yet they also seemed to suffer from some personality / addiction issues. So, my crazy attracts crazy! I just had to end a friendship with a guy that I liked to mountain bike with, but there was no reason to continue being his friend because we couldn't date, I'm married. So, why be friends with guys? It will always naturally want to lead to the next emotional level of a man / woman friendship. Doesn't work. I hate that it doesn't work...but for me it won't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

School. I could write a novel about school alone. I never made friends, or shall I say, I never seeked out friendship. Rather, someone would voluntarily interact with me frequently enough to classify as a friend. The worst part of school for me was lunchtime. It was just too much for me to bare. In fact when I entered middle school I just couldn't do it. I would lock myself in a bathroom stall until the bell rang. Back then, I was just deemed as "shy".


By the way, I think you would really enjoy this community- http://community.livejournal.com/asperger/

They're very active and give a ton of feedback. Very helpful.