Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sometimes We Know that We Know that We Know!

I am starting to realize the amount of honesty and humility that it takes to write this blog. There are so many aspects of an individuals personality to begin with, let alone a person with Asperger's Syndrome. So what makes me any different from anyone else in the world? Everyone has their own issues, and I know that it might sound "self-serving" to complain all day long. The truth is, people with Asperger's are oftentimes unable to cease complaining. Whe we see a world with problems we wonder why it can't be fixed NOW. We typically are black and white thinkers. We don't always understand grey areas. When we want to get a point across, we NEED to get it across NOW, even if it means hurting others feelings. Some people, like myself, can create enemies wherever we go. I dont' blame this all on myself, because we oftentimes attract the same types of people over and over again. We don't like to do this. Many of us can control it to a certain degree. To be honest, I can't hardly control it. When someone says something that I don't agree with, I can shut my mouth and let it eat away at me. I can typically control myself in this situation. Yes, I might go away thinking how everyone is wrong and I am right, yet there is sometimes a certain topic that launches me into full attack mode. And what about the times when we know that we know that we know we are right? There are times that us aspies really are getting it right, and the general public would agree with us. Still, it doesn't matter because if one person doesn't agree, then we will make it our lifes ambition to be sure that person fully agrees...and quick. This all plays into the OCD aspect of AS...and something that I will post on next because it affects me so acutely.

3 comments:

sunnykim said...

I can so relate to this post! I definitely see things black and white. One of my friends calls it a stubborn streak. I used to think (really!!!) that I had that "stubborn streak" because my parents never spanked me!!! LOL!

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it...I think there are times when I need to use my stubbornness to keep to the right path (and possibly to bless the other person) and sometimes I'll need to let go, to trust/show compassion to/encourage the other person...

maybe the bottom line, the question is: how can I bless the other? Will my black-and-whiteness hinder or further our conversation/friendship/whatever? How can I use it for God's glory?

Gavin Bollard said...

Great post.

I can relate to this too - and it was always referred to as my stubborn streak too.

I think you're onto something here.

Aspiemom said...

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes! For what purpose has God made us this way? There is always a purpose. My psychologist says I should work for the CIA because I can pass a lie detector test without trying! haha