Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Roller Coaster of Relationship

I just recently read an article about couples where one person is bipolar. The amount of agony that the non bipolar person had to endure was something close to what I feel the non Asperger's partner needs to put up with. Mood swings, break ups, cold shoulders, and the innability to follow through on promises. This sounds incredibly close to what I have dealt with my entire life. There are times when I can put everything I have into a relationship, to the point of almost taking on the other person as the reason for my existance. The next thing I know, I am no longer any good for that person any longer. I then become cold and remote, hiding my true feelings, and the blame sets in. Previously I would only see the fault in my self. Next I will see the fault in my perceptions of the relationship. Giving everything that you have in order to make a relationship work is exhausting enough. Fighting off the attention from another person after you have found out what you have previously put up with is difficult. Then, the panic in the fact that you just might not be able to ever live without the person that you have ridden this emotional rollercoaster ride with. Trying to be what your partner expects you to be is difficult when there are other people out there that will accept much less.

No comments: