Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Broken Heart

This morning was a typical morning for me, my daughter refused to put her clothes on to go to school. She screamed and cried for a good half hour, and I finally had to dress her as she was crying and leaning in for hugs. Finally got her into the car and then she was as happy as can be. My son got himself ready, and typically, someone will throw a fit every morning. As usual, my son continued to say that he hated school and didn't want to go. On the car ride down, I could tell that he was waiting to let out the tears just before it was time to go to school. My daughter gets out of the car and the tears in Christian's eyes started flowing. And then he said what I knew I would hear at some point during the school year, "no one likes me, I have no friends, even the one friend I thought I had won't play with me at recess." My heart sunk. I knew exactly how he felt. I knew how the sounds, noises, smells, and social atmosphere can make any kid crazy, but a kids with Asperger's means its pure torture. At that moment I realized, I can't make him go in. I can't force him to stay in school. I needed to work with him one on one. Sending my child to school when it makes him feel how I saw him feeling made me want to cry for him. I remember, it wasn't fun, in fact, it was torture. As I went through the many options in my mind, online learning, one on one curriculum, skiing as a stress release...I had to do it, I have to homeschool him. I had previously home schooled him the past two years. I thought he needed to go to school to learn how to be social. What a joke. He is social and he has a group of best friends where we live. How would school help him any more? It just made him miserable and sad and angry. And then I realized the full extent to his problems with learning when I went to the parent teachers conference this afternoon. His teacher looked at me and said "he's failing, he needs special ed." She said that he does fine one on one, and he is bright, but he is kind of in his own world and so frustrated because everyone else "gets it" and he doesn't. I love my boy with all my heart. My heart breaks for him when I see him go through what I went through, socially that is. He has such genious and spark in there somewhere, we just need to find what brings that out. Of course, computers, video games, sledding, skiing. He loves all of these things, and he is pretty good at them. I need to show my boy the world. My daughter might be able to handle school right now, but I know what my son needs. I feel horrible that it has taken me this long to realize it, yet again. I am my sons advocate and I am his teacher. I know what he is going through, and only I can help him.

3 comments:

Dorothee said...

Nice to find your blog/site! Love it! And I can sooo feel your pain for your son (and you?). You're great, really!

Dorothee (Aspie woman NL)

Aspiemom said...

Thank you so much Kateker! I appreciate your kind words.

Coco del Corazon said...

I home-schooled my son for the same reasons. Eventually we found a great school and he has a small but loyal group of friends. He is now applying for an academic scholarship to Cambridge University. Hang in there, you're doing the right thing.